Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Until Friday Night (The Field Party #1) by Abbi Glines // BOOK REVIEW

"Pain came to all of us at some time or another. It was how we learned to cope with it that determined our future. In this moment I chose to speak."
Book: Until Friday Night (The Field Party #1)
Author: Abbi Glines
Genre: Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance
Synopsis: To everyone who knows him, West Ashby has always been that guy: the cocky, popular, way-too-handsome-for-his-own-good football god who led Lawton High to the state championships. But while West may be Big Man on Campus on the outside, on the inside he’s battling the grief that comes with watching his father slowly die of cancer.

Two years ago, Maggie Carleton’s life fell apart when her father murdered her mother. And after she told the police what happened, she stopped speaking and hasn’t spoken since. Even the move to Lawton, Alabama, couldn’t draw Maggie back out. So she stayed quiet, keeping her sorrow and her fractured heart hidden away.

As West’s pain becomes too much to handle, he knows he needs to talk to someone about his father—so in the dark shadows of a post-game party, he opens up to the one girl who he knows won’t tell anyone else.

West expected that talking about his dad would bring some relief, or at least a flood of emotions he couldn’t control. But he never expected the quiet new girl to reply, to reveal a pain even deeper than his own—or for them to form a connection so strong that he couldn’t ever let her go…

What I thought about it...

I was kinda dreadful about starting a new series, I’m actually not a fan of it (aside from The Selection), but after reading the synopsis, I thought, ‘Okay, I must give it a try,’ because that synopsis was something.

Until Friday Night is book one of The Field Party Series by Abbi Glines.

The Characters

Again, the synopsis tugged my heart but... but the characters killed it for me.

I liked West Ashby in the beginning. I have a thing for tough guys who have a soft spot for their parents/families. But towards the end he became a madman ready to kill anyone, literally anyone, who would try to make a conversation with Maggie. He’s even jealous of Brady, his best friend and Maggie’s cousin, when Maggie smiled at him. Wow, not even a family can talk to her now??? He became possessive and toxic and Maggie saw that but how did the author resolved it? By West finally saying he loves her? And then ta-dah! They’re back together. No, love is not an excuse to own/be possessive with somebody because if you really love someone you’ll let them grow. I also don’t like that he seemed so hung up with Maggie's looks but then sl*t-shamed other girls the next minute.

Maggie, on the other hand, was kinda okay. But I was annoyed with her. People are trying to protect her because of what happened to her but she doesn’t like that. She doesn’t want Brady telling her what to do and even said she understands others more than Brady does, but how? She gave up her all (and I mean all) to someone she barely knew and Brady was just protecting her because he knows that his friends have tendecies to be a**holes. I also don’t like the fact that he only talks to West. Like, there are people who obviously love her and want what’s best for her but she doesn’t talk to them but when a problematic hot guy comes along, she talks to him. WOW.  It also became very, very cringey when they became a couple. Err.

Now, this book really lost me in the part where these two seemed to invalidate other people’s sufferings because other people, they said, don’t know what they have been through – losing a parent. I understand that, okay, it’s hella difficult (I might die next if this happened to me) but that doesn’t mean other people don’t understand what they’re going through especially their friends. Pain is pain, there’s no use saying one feels more pain than the others because the point is, we’re all suffering.

MY VERDICT

I was disappointed. But I like Brady and Nash and I’m really hoping that their characters are not as shallow as West’s because that would really be frustrating. That being said, I will continue reading this series and will skip the parts of Maggie and West in the other books whenever their characters appear.

MY RATING
☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment