Thursday, November 28, 2019

Everfound by Neal Shusterman (Skinjacker #3) // BOOK REVIEW

“We can lie to ourselves, saying we believe one thing, and sometimes we convince other's it's true, with the hope that by convincing others, we can convince ourselves. Wars are often waged not because of what we believe, but because of the things we want others to believe.”
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Book: Everfound (Skinjacker #3)
Author: Neal Shusterman
Genre: Young Adult, Fiction
Synopsis: While Mary lies in a glass coffin aboard a ghost train heading west, her minions are awaiting her re-awakening by bringing lots of new souls into Everlost to serve her. Meanwhile Jackin’ Jill has met Jix, a fur-jacker—a skin jacker who can take over the bodies of animals, most notably jaguars. Jix serves a Mayan god who collects Everlost coins, and has his own agenda. In the concluding volume of The Skinjacker Trilogy, Neal Shusterman reveals new sides of the characters of Everlost, who are pitted against each other in a battle that may destroy all life on Earth.

What I thought about it...

This one is painful. I have to bid goodbye to my newfound friends.

Though I've only met them a few days ago, I felt like I know them all and ending this series, I kind of felt sad and happy. 
Sad because for that short amount of time I felt like they became a part of my family and being away from them made me feel incomplete.
But happy because finally, they're going to the light. They're going somewhere they need to go.
So I'll try not to be selfish and let them all go.

Anyways, back to the story. As I've said in my Everwild review, this is kind of depressing. It bothers me that kids are dying and I tried so hard to convince myself that this is just a fiction, not real and I don't have to fret. But it felt so real, I just can't help it.

Also, that ending. I know just because it's not the kind of ending that I want doesn't mean it's a bad book. I was actually kind of torn with the ending. It's still beautiful though. I was kinda teary-eyed when Mikey bid Allie goodbye and I was even more emotional when Allie said her goodbye to Nick. I don't ship them anymore, but I admire the kind of bond they have. As Allie said, Nick is like her ghostly twin and Mikey is her soul mate. It warms my heart that Nick will always be in her heart. And with that I'd like to share that ending between them...

     "I remember the first time I saw you," Allie said.
     "I thought you smelled me first."
    "Right," said Allie. "The chocolate. But then I saw you as I sat up in the dead forest, thinking I knew you. At the time, I thought I must have seen you through the windshield when our cars crashed... But that wasn't it. I think, way back then, I was seeing you as you are now. Isn't that funny?"
     "Not as funny as the way I always complained, and the way you always bossed me around!"
They embraced and held each other for a long time.
    "Don't forget me," Nick said. "No matter where your life goes, no matter how old you get. And if you ever get the feeling that someone is looking over your shoulder, but there's nobody there, maybe it'll be me."
    "I'll write to you," said Allie, and Nick laughed. "No really. I'll write the letter then burn it, and if I care just enough, it will cross into Everlost."


I'm also sad that Nick was left there, not totally alone, but all his friends either sunk in the bottom of the earth, gone into the light in the tunnel or gone back to the living world. He was left there and it is very uncomforting to think why can't he cross that tunnel? Although I know he still have his mission, but still...

Again I felt bad that I was kinda sad that Allie chose to come back to the living world and not be with Mikey. But maybe they'll see each other again at the end of the tunnel. So I was kind of hoping that Neal Shusterman will write at least something about the Afterlights' life beyond that tunnel? In the light?

My Verdict

I like this series. Amazing. Creative. Very, very good.
I was just so happy I finished a trilogy in less than a week!

MY RATING
★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment