Thursday, November 28, 2019

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness // BOOK REVIEW

"You be as angry as you need to be," she said. "Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Not your grandma, not your dad, no one. And if you need to break things, then by God, you break them good and hard."
Book: A Monster Calls
Author: Patrick Ness
Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Young Adult
Synopsis: Conor has the same dream every night, ever since his mother first fell ill, ever since she started the treatments that don't quite seem to be working. But tonight is different. Tonight, when he wakes, there's a visitor at his window. It's ancient, elemental, a force of nature. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor. It wants the truth.

Patrick Ness takes the final idea of the late, award-winning writer Siobhan Dowd and weaves an extraordinary and heartbreaking tale of mischief, healing and above all, the courage it takes to survive.
               
What I thought about it...

The Storyline / Writing

It is a quick read but you know, it pierced through the heart. I’ve read short books before but it never captured my heart and attention like this one did. It amazes me how Patrick Ness made it just 237 pages and yet it is both magical and emotional. There was never a chapter that I don’t like and this is one of those books that I didn’t lose my focus and emotions on. There is something about books about kids (whatever genre it may be, but especially Fantasy genre) that captures my heart and soul like this one and like Neil Gaiman’s The Ocean at the End of the Lane did. I ugly cried after reading both these books.


The Characters

Conor felt like a little brother to me. I was so sad and broken hearted for him. I don’t know what he’s feeling or how much he’s hurting but all I know is that it hurts so much. Losing your parent at that young age, I can’t imagine.

And there’s that yew tree that made me cry when I watched the trailer of the movie adaptation of this book.

My Verdict


I loved it. I can’t say anything much about books that I love aside from the fact that I love them. There are books that stay with me for a few days or months but this one will definitely stay tucked in the corner of my heart, forever.

MY RATING
★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment