Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Vanished by Danielle Steel // BOOK REVIEW


SPOILER ALERT!!!

Book: Vanished
Author: Danielle Steel
Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Mystery
Synopsis: Vanished tells the story of a man and woman faced with an almost unthinkable tragedy--the mysterious abduction of their son.

In the late 1930s, in the shadow of the Lindbergh kidnapping, and as war looms in Europe, Marielle Patterson shares and elegant Manhattan brownstone with her husband, Malcolm, and their little boy, Teddy. Though the couple's lives are filled with secrets, Marielle is a devoted wife and mother, and Malcolm is a man everyone admires.

On the eve of Teddy's disappearance, Marielle runs into her first love, American expatriate Charles Delauney. And when Teddy is kidnapped, Charles is first blamed, then arrested. But as the search for Teddy widens, even Marielle is scrutinized by the FBI and special agent John Taylor. Suspicions and accusations mingle with terror and heartbreak as every threat, every failure, every fear, is remembered, examined, explored.


During Charles Delauney's trial, a series of revalations begins to unravel the about Marielle, Charles, and Malcolm, uncovering the motives and passions controlling their lives.

Vanished is a tale of guilt, desire, suspense, and of people drawn inexorably together, seeking the child who... vanished. From the Paperback edition. 

What I think about it…

I love the story and the mystery behind it. I pity Marielle so so bad. A lot of people hated her and treated her like a weakling but obviously, with everything that’s happened in her past and what she’s been through, she’s one hell of a woman.

I love how brave she is and that she made a right choice with her relationships. I was never disappointed with her choices – except kissing John Taylor.

Also that ending is very satisfying. I love endings like that because it felt so realistic and it gives a sense of hope in the future – that there’s so much more to come. It’s neither an open ending nor a cliffhanger. It ended just the way it needed to be.

What I liked less…

Everything is going okay until Special Agent John Taylor and Marielle started to have an affair. I mean, Marielle, you know better than to get involved with a married FBI agent who’s handling the kidnapping case in the midst of the trial of your ex-husband while you yourself are also married with the father of your kid who was kidnapped. It is just absurd but knowing Danielle Steel, I know everything is going to turn around in the last few pages of this book. I. Knew. It. It’s not the first time that she did it. Just as you thought Marielle and John Taylor is the end game? Well, get ready for another OTT stuff that’s gonna happen. I would say though that that thing with the lawyer was extremely ridiculous. Marielle is that beautiful that a lot of men she’s meeting is falling in love with her in just a short amount of time, eh? I think that DS just put it there just so we can have another twist. Although I don’t really mind Marielle being with the lawyer than to be with the married John Taylor (I hate cheating!!!) and I want her and Charles to be happy and go on with their lives separately.

My Verdict

I knew that a Danielle Steel book will never disappoint. It’s been years since this was published, it’s in the works even before I was born but I’ve seen a TV soap with the same plot and I don’t know if they got it from DS and though this is quite predictable, I’m still hooked. I think it’s beautiful and very engaging. I like it!

MY RATING
★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment