Thursday, May 14, 2020

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes // BOOK REVIEW


Book: Into the Darkest Corner
Author: Elizabeth Haynes
Genre: Fiction, Contemporary, Thriller
Synopsis: When young, pretty Catherine Bailey meets Lee Brightman, she can't believe her luck. Gorgeous, charismatic, and a bit mysterious, Lee seems almost too perfect to be true.

But what begins as flattering attention and spontaneous, passionate sex transforms into raging jealousy, and Catherine soon discovers that Lee's dazzling blue eyes and blond good looks hide a dark, violent nature. Disturbed by his increasingly erratic, controlling behavior, she tries to break it off; turning to her friends for support, she's stunned to find they don't believe her. Increasingly isolated and driven into the darkest corner of her world, a desperate Catherine plans a meticulous escape.
Four years later, Lee is behind bars and Catherine—now Cathy—is trying to build a new life in a new city. Though her body has healed, the trauma of the past still haunts her. Then Stuart Richardson, her attractive new neighbor, moves in. Encouraging her to confront her fears, he sparks unexpected hope and the possibility of love and a normal life.
Until the day the phone rings . . . 



What I think about it…

From the point of view of Cathy, the book alternates between what happened before and during her relationship with Lee – her control-freak, murderer and abusive boyfriend – and what’s happening three years after she was almost killed by him.

Now living far away from Lancaster – with a new name –  to escape Lee and forget the trauma he put her through, just when she’s making progress with the OCD that was caused by the abuse she experienced with him, she received a phone call telling her that he was about to get out of prison. With Lee’s release come the anxiety and panic attacks and a certain person who walked out of her life all those years ago.

I like Cathy, I pity this poor girl and though I understand her situation, I just don’t like that she’s pushing away people who only want to help her – particularly Stuart. There are times when I detested her when she was still that Catherine but years after that, she changed and she’s stronger and braver than I give her credit for.

My Verdict

This one is pretty intense. I don’t think I’ve liked any thriller before like this one. I just finished reading Big Little Lies and these two books both have tackled a very sad reality a lot of women is facing today… domestic violence. Though I was kinda annoyed with how it was written – jumping from the past and then the present and then back to the past and so on – because it confuses me, as I went on I get the hang of it, adjusted and enjoyed it midway. There were some parts that were pretty graphic and disturbing that it was hard for me to read because I can clearly see it in my head. But that’s the beauty of this book – the message it portrays – to open your eyes and do something for someone who’s suffering it.

This is highly recommended. I can’t say for sure that this is unique from other books because I know there may be other books that are similar to this but it was kind of a breath of fresh air cos this time it’s not the woman somewhere… under the table, in the chair, in the door or elsewhere.

MY RATING
★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment