Thursday, May 14, 2020

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty // BOOK REVIEW

“They say it's good to let your grudges go, but I don't know, I'm quite fond of my grudge. I tend it like a little pet.”
Book: Big Little Lies
Author: Liane Moriarty
Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She’s funny, biting, and passionate; she remembers everything and forgives no one. Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare but she is paying a price for the illusion of perfection. New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for a nanny. She comes with a mysterious past and a sadness beyond her years. These three women are at different crossroads, but they will all wind up in the same shocking place.
Big Little Lies is a brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the little lies that can turn lethal.
Genre: Fiction, Mystery, Contemporary
Synopsis: A murder...A tragic accident...Or just parents behaving badly? What’s indisputable is that someone is dead.

What I think about it…

Big Little Lies is a very interesting story with some mystery, a murder, a whole lot of fun and catfights. It revolves around the lives of three moms and what’s going on in their families, the problems they have, their struggles and hustles and the secrets they keep. The back stories on how the characters are related to each other are just crazy. The plot is more about the dilemma and abuse that the women are facing –be it that you’re single or married.

I love all the characters – Madeleine’s nonstop chattering, Jane’s simplicity and Celeste’s vulnerability – they represent a lot of women in this planet.

Madeleine was once a young, single parent that’s why when she met Jane, she can identify with her. Madeleine is having problems with her teen daughter Abigail. I can also relate to Madeleine in so many ways. Not that I was once a single mother or that I am married or that I have a teenage kid but more so on the fact that she can’t forgive her ex, Nathan, after all these years and even after they have their own families. It’s difficult to forgive especially when you can see that the person who wronged you doesn’t suffer for what he/she did to you. And so Madeleine, I so feel you.

Jane, a single mom to Ziggy, has her own secrets to keep. No one knows who was Ziggy’s father and Jane is not ready to share it to anyone, not even to her family. But one night she just felt like she needed to tell her story and be free from it. She told Madeleine what happened to her and who the father is Ziggy’s father. One of the endings I love in this book is of Jane’s. There’s so much hope in her ending and I hope she finds true love and happiness.

People think Celeste have it all – the beauty, the money, the handsome, successful husband and the perfect family living in the perfect house – but what they don’t know is she’s been keeping a dark secret …. You only see what other people want you to see. Sometimes what lies beneath is not what it seems on the surface. Celeste’s story is the proof that reality is painfully ruthless.

My Verdict

I love that ending. The stories of the women in this book could be happening to anyone in reality. I’ve never been so awestruck with an ending. There are books that bring warmth, make me cry or surprised me but so far Liane Moriarty’s plot twists are the only ones that make my jaw drop and say, ‘sh********t’ – yes, the super long one. So, I need to see that TV adaptation. Also this book is highly recommended.

MY RATING
★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment