Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick // BOOK REVIEW


Book: Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1)
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal, Romance
Synopsis: A SACRED OATH. A FALLEN ANGEL. A FORBIDDEN LOVE.

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

What I think about it…

I put this on my TBR shelf not expecting anything. I remembered this because this was the series my college friend was looking for in the local bookstore and she didn’t find it. Reading it many years later after knowing the story was appalling. I kinda regretted picking this up.

This story bothered me in so many levels it actually is creepy. I hate the message it’s trying to convey – that it is somehow okay to fall in love with your evil stalker. The plot was okay, many readers said that it was a rip off of Twilight and I don’t have a say in that. I just hate the instant love here – it is absurd, annoying, unbelievable and horrible.

These people killed it for me especially our damsel in distress Nora Grey. Nora’s thinking and the way she acts is totally contradicting. She’s scared of Patch (because why not, she have every right to be scared of him, the man, after all, is not human) but also attracted to him. It’s annoying to see how the first minute she’s so scared and then suddenly is kissing Patch the same minute. Like she’s so sure that he wants to kill her and then thought that he cannot hurt her in that same sentence without punctuation. Whatever happened to “I secretly enjoyed the attraction between us, but the mystery and eeriness outweighed it. From now on, I was going to flush Patch out of my system – and this time, I meant it…” ? I hate that she can’t make up her mind. She’s that idiot in a horror movie who will enter a creepy and haunted room instead of running for her life.

Nora’s supposed best friend and sidekick Vee Sky doesn’t help at all. I thought she’s really not a friend of Nora. She doesn’t listen and doesn’t believe Nora at all. How can a best friend be like that when she should be the first person that Nora can confide with. Vee is the biggest joke in this book. I so hate her.

I have no issues with Patch though. He is the most consistent character in this story. What I just don’t like is how openly he threatened Nora. He’s hot? I don’t think so. I don’t think he is up to something good too but I will never know that because I don’t have plans to finish this series.

My Verdict

I usually don’t have a problem with the plot or the writing of the authors but what always get to me are the characters. So no matter how good the story may be if the characters are stupid and continuously choose to make bad decisions over and over again, it’s also over for me. I don’t recommend this at all. It’s exasperating and annoying and a complete waste of time.

MY RATING
★☆☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment