Wednesday, March 25, 2020

My Big, Fat, Fake Wedding by Lauren Landish // BOOK REVIEW

“She can be a badass bitch when she wants to be.”
Book: My Big, Fat, Fake Wedding
Author: Lauren Landish
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Fiction
Synopsis: He needs a wife. I need a husband. It’s just temporary… what could go wrong?

I’ve always wanted the fairy tale wedding. Not for the princess perfect dress or big party, but for Papa.

My grandfather. The only father figure I’ve ever known.

It’s his dying wish to walk me down the aisle.

Gee, no pressure.

But I can grant that wish...

I just have to fake being head over heels in love with Ross Andrews, my best friend's big brother whom I embarrassingly crushed on all through high school.

Handsome. Knockout sexy. Arrogant jerk extraordinaire.

Our childish pranks and tit-for-tat battles were legendary. Then I grew up.

Not that he ever noticed.

I know it’s a terrible idea, and we’re both in over our heads.

It could be the wedding of a lifetime or a total disaster.

How do we make it to the altar without killing each other first?

Or without falling in love for real?

What I think about it…

The Characters

Violet Russo is the main female character. She didn’t have any striking or unique characteristics or whatever. For me, she seemed just like a normal background character if not for her dilemma.

Ross Andrews just like any stereotype male lead character – handsome billionaire and a playboy. I find his personality a little problematic. I seriously disliked the way he handled the situation when their (spoiler) fake marriage was exposed.

The Story

I find this one overboard, so over-the-top. It was kind of funny and entertaining at first but the second half of the book felt like the story was being dragged and cringey and just too much. For someone who’s working in a corporate world, I find Ross’ conference with the Board absurd and hilarious. I don’t know if there’s ever a company that’s going to hold a meeting over someone else’s personal life – even if it’s the Vice President of the company. 

What didn’t work for me…

I like romance but this was too cringey and unbelievable, again, over-the-top. I readied myself when I realized that Ross is the brother of Violet’s best friend, Abi. For me it’s a no-no to date your friend’s siblings – that’s just incest (this is my opinion). So it added to the cringy-ness I was feeling but not too much. Also Ross’ pointing fingers when the truth was revealed kinda turned me off. He said something along the lines that yes, the Board certainly didn’t push him to do what he did but they pressured him. Oh-kay boy, so that’s what you do when you’re pressured? You make irrational decisions? Oh-kay.

My Verdict

In all fairness the love scenes here are quite steamy and Violet’s family is kinda amusing. I also have a big and crazy family. Honestly, the book was quite fine but maybe I’m just not in the mood for something like this. I skipped a lot of pages towards the end. Not that enjoyable but the story is kinda bearable.

MY RATING
★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment