Monday, April 6, 2020

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater // BOOK REVIEW

“I wish you could be kissed, Jane,' he said. 'Because I would beg just one off you. Under all this.' He flailed an arm toward the stars.”
Book: The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Fiction, Young Adult, Paranormal
Synopsis: Now that the ley lines around Cabeswater have been woken, nothing for Ronan, Gansey, Blue, and Adam will be the same. Ronan, for one, is falling more and more deeply into his dreams, and his dreams are intruding more and more into waking life. Meanwhile, some very sinister people are looking for some of the same pieces of the Cabeswater puzzle that Gansey is after…

What I think about it…

The Characters

This book revolves more around Ronan Lynch, one of the Raven Boys and the dream thief, and his family. Ronan is, as usual, the snake and his badass self. Here I got to understand him more and got to know more about his family.

There are also some appearances of Matthew, the youngest of the Lynch siblings, and not much of Declan. 

Joseph Kavinsky, also, has some major parts here and his story is quite interesting but since I’m already reading the Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle Book #3), there’s still not much background of why he was what he was. If there was no explanation whatsoever regarding that then I will be left hanging.

The rest of the Raven Boys are still here (of course!) and still funny as ever. The ever scholarly Gansey, the mysterious Noah and then Adam. Adam, I think this is also his book as much as this is Ronan’s. Sometimes, what annoys me most about him is that he always thinks that people around him pity him but I don’t think that’s the case with Gansey. I think Gansey only want to help Adam and not to rub his wealth in Adam’s face. Adam and his pride is annoying.

Then there’s Blue and her psychic family. It was kinda blurry to me what kind of relationship Adam and she had. I don’t think its mutual understanding or whatever. There are lots of unsaid things between them and it’s scary that once it’s been said it’s gonna hurt one of them real bad – and I think it’s Adam. 

The Story 

In this book we got to see and learn more about Ronan’s family and their secrets and the secrets of some other characters too. Book one showed that the Raven Boys are not the only ones who are after the ley line – because there’s Whelk – and though he is dead there are still others who are after it. There’s this Gray man (the hit man who works for someone) who is after the Greywaren. But what exactly is that Greywaren and why are there so many people who are willing to kill just to get their hands on it?

My Verdict

This is not as fun or interesting as the first book. There are lots of vocabularies and I need to keep up with it and its confusing. Sometimes I have to go back a few paragraphs just to keep up. But I still love the Raven Boys! Them dissing each other, burning each other is so funny to me like they are #SquadGoals! This is still one of my favorite series though it's only three stars. Lol.


MY RATING
★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment