Wednesday, March 25, 2020

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak // BOOK REVIEW

“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.”
Book: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zusak
Genre: Classic, Historical, Fiction
Synopsis: It is 1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier, and will be busier still.

By her brother's graveside, Liesel's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Gravedigger's Handbook, left behind there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordian-playing foster father, learns to read. Soon she is stealing books from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever there are books to be found.

But these are dangerous times. When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up, and closed down.

In superbly crafted writing that burns with intensity, award-winning author Markus Zusak has given us one of the most enduring stories of our time.

What I think about it…

The Characters

Liesel Meminger, the book thief, her life – though fictional – made me think, ‘How can a little girl endured so much?’ She’s undeniably strong and courageous. I admire her bravery, of facing the world head on. She’s been through a lot of hell at a young age and yet she overcomes the world.

Rudy Steiner, oh boy Rudy is Liesel’s best friend. This boy with a lemon colored hair and a gangly blue eyes is athletic and brave. He was with Liesel everywhere. They’re literally partners in crime. From stealing apples, potatoes and books – a thief – he became the boy that hands breads to the Jews.

Max Vandenburg is the Jew that was kept in the Hubermann’s basement. He’s the only son of Papa’s former colleague – the guy that taught him how to play the accordion.

Papa is Hans Hubermann who taught Liesel how to read. I admire Papa so much. He embraced Liesel like she’s his own flesh and blood. He is tenderhearted. He has a gentle soul. He’s poor but that doesn’t stop him from helping people who needs it.

Mama is Rosa Hubermann who always, always curses everyone, like, she’s not gonna finish her sentences without a saumensch, saukerl or arschloch. She’s not Mama if she doesn’t curse but you know that’s her weird way of saying she cares and loves Papa and Liesel.

Ilsa Hermann is the Mayor’s wife. Ilsa became somewhat friends with Liesel. She lets her come inside their home, inside her library and she also lets Liesel read books there. She’s always in her robe and slippers with an unreadable expression. Honestly I don’t know what to make of Ilsa but there’s something in her that made me like her.

The Story

Liesel was 11 years old when she lost her younger brother. Her brother died in front of her and that’s what Liesel’s nightmares are made of in so many years to come. The day of her brother’s death, she got her first book – The Grave Digger’s Handbook. This book means so much to Liesel cos the book was there when she last saw her brother and the last time she saw her biological mother. But as ironic as it sounds, the book thief doesn’t know how to read. As the years went on and she started learning how to read, she also started stealing books.

What didn’t work for me…

I didn’t get the hype and for that I’m sorry. It was boring, for me, and the only time that I felt something about this book is that chapter. Maybe I’m just too dumb for this book because I didn’t understand a lot (and I mean a lot) of things here like, maybe, there are symbolisms or whatnot that I missed. I know Max’s sketch meant something but I was too bored to care. I don’t know what I missed but I think the reason why it was on my shelf for, like, forever was because it was in the historical genre.

My Verdict

This book has been in my shelf for years. Yes, years. It’s only this week that I had the urge to start reading it and boy it disappointed me. I felt bad that I didn’t love it like my friends loved it, like the people who I followed on Goodreads loved it. So yeah, one star for Rudy and one star for Papa.

MY RATING
★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment