Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3) by Patrick Ness // BOOK REVIEW


“To say you have no choice is to relieve yourself of responsibility.”
Book: Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3)
Author: Patrick Ness
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia, Science Fiction
Synopsis: As a world-ending war surges to life around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions. The indigenous Spackle, thinking and acting as one, have mobilized to avenge their murdered people. Ruthless human leaders prepare to defend their factions at all costs, even as a convoy of new settlers approaches. And as the ceaseless Noise lays all thoughts bare, the projected will of the few threatens to overwhelm the desperate desire of the many. The consequences of each action, each word, are unspeakably vast: To follow a tyrant or a terrorist? To save the life of the one you love most or thousands of strangers? To believe in redemption or assume it is lost? Becoming adults amid the turmoil, Todd and Viola question all they have known, racing through horror and outrage toward a shocking finale.

What I think about it…

The Characters

I love the character developments! Looking back in the first two books, Todd has come a long, long way. He was just a boy back in the first book but he’s a full-grown man in this final book. Viola’s character, too, improved greatly. Wilf too has come a long way. I’m happy to see the return of a certain character too (it was overwhelming and a bit shocking). We’ve seen a lot of old characters here too like Mistress Coyle (who I still don’t understand. I don’t know her motives. Is she good or bad?) and the bloody genius President Prentiss (gosh, I love his character so much). We were also introduced to new characters like Bradley and Simone – Viola’s friends from the first scout ship that arrived. And then there’s the Spackles – The Sky, The Land, The Return.

The Story

It’s still boring like the first two. It’s all about war from page one til the last one and it was so boring. I felt like it was dragged on for too long. I didn’t learn something new, just the same old story about them like Mistress Coyle doesn’t want Prentiss to lead the people so there’s the never-ending bickering between them; Mayor/President Prentiss’ controlling the people; Viola always choosing Todd; Todd always choosing Viola; Spackles being Spackles and so on. Some characters were improved but the others stay the same way and its booooring. I've also read the last short story entitled Snowscape (Chaos Walking #3.5) so if you feel like the ending of Monsters is a cliffhanger (because it is), the answer to our question is the last paragraph of Snowscape.

What didn’t work for me…

The whole thing didn’t work for me. I love the main characters but others not so much. I hated Mistress Coyle, why is she acting the way she did? She’s so detestable. Lots of violence, killings and bombing happened here and there and yet I feel like it was just there to make one chapter or one whole book. I didn't like it in ways I can't explain.

My Verdict

All in all I don’t like this series. I love Patrick Ness, I always say that and that’s what kept me from finishing this series and I even read the short stories even though I don’t like it – that’s how much I like him. But putting my love for Ness aside, would I recommend it? Nah. No. There are much better series than this. This is a complete waste of my time and I feel bad about it.

MY RATING
★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment