Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver // BOOK REVIEW

“Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around it, let it slide like coins through you fingers. So much time you can waste it.
But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know.”
SPOILER ALERT!!!

Book: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Fiction, Fantasy
Synopsis: For popular high school senior Samantha Kingston, February 12—"Cupid Day"—should be one big party, a day of valentines and roses and the privileges that come with being at the top of the social pyramid. And it is … until she dies in a terrible accident that night.

However, she still wakes up the next morning. In fact, Sam lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she ever imagined.

What I think about it...

The Characters

Well, I can’t say I like them or I can relate to them but they have their own struggles. They’re unlikable and they did things that made me resent them. They are their own bullies. Sam, Lindsay, Ally and Elody are the popular girls in school but that popularity doesn’t spare them with the harshness of reality. Also, I want more background story of Lindsay and Juliet’s character. Why was Lindsay the person she was? Because I kind of don’t understand why she’s such an a-hole to Juliet.

The Story

Unique and captivating though I was not really that excited in reading it, the plot motivated me to continue reading. What I regret though is when Sam only realized the horrible things she did when it's too late. Ironic because she told Juliet, 'It's never too late,' but it is... at least it is, for her.

I’ve learned…

I’ve realized a whole lot of things about life. That we can only see through people's life what they want us to see and that most of the time they’re just faking it. Also one of the lessons that speak to me the most is that we have to be kind to everybody because everyone is fighting a hard battle we know nothing about. What broke my heart here is when Juliet narrated the mean and horrible things that Sam and Co. did to her and what was Sam’s reaction? She’s sorry or she doesn’t remember that or she didn’t know that. You see, we have to be careful how we treat other people because we don’t know how it will affect them or worse they might bring it with them for the rest of their lives. We might not remember the nasty things we did to other people because for us it’s just a small thing, but to them it’s a whole lot of big deal.

My Verdict

There was a question in Part One where Sam said, 
“But before you start pointing fingers, let me ask you; is what I did really so bad? So bad I deserved to die? So bad I deserved to die like that?
Is what I really did really so much worse than what anybody else does?
Is it really so much worse than what you do?
Think about it.”
Well, you know what Sam, no righteous person should ever tell you that you deserve to die in whatever way but I can tell you now and look you straight in the eye that what you did is worse (no used in comparing if what others did was worse, because a sin is a sin no matter how small) and I did no such thing against anyone (like what you guys did to Juliet). Don’t ask people if what you did was worse than anyone elses just to make you feel better.

Now, apart from the four mean, feeling entitled, horrible main leads here, I recommend it because the message of this book is so touching and true - growth and development.

MY RATING
★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment