Thursday, January 9, 2020

The Guy on the Right (The Underdogs #1) by Kate Stewart // BOOK REVIEW

“He didn’t show up on a white horse declaring that she hops on before he gallops away. No, this prince got off his horse, fell on his ass, and stumbled in the mud with her until she could mount her own stallion. And then, in one last act of bravery, he gently trotted beside her into the unknown.”
Book: The Guy on the Right (The Underdogs #1)
Author: Kate Stewart
Genre: Contemporary, New Adult, Romance, College
Synopsis: Strike One-My mother named me Theodore after her favorite chipmunk.

Not cool, Mom.

I‘ve spent most of my life answering to Teddy, because I couldn’t make Theo work.

Except for here. College. The place where all bets are off, and I’ve managed to redeem myself.

There’s only one problem, my new roommate, Troy, is football royalty and looks like he stepped off the set of an Abercrombie shoot.

Doesn’t matter, I cook a mean breakfast for his panty parade, and we get along well.

And anyway, this year I got the girl. And she’s perfect.

That’s right. Theodore Houseman, former band geek, now marching band rock star has finally landed the girl of his dreams.

Everything is perfect.

That is, until Troy takes a good look at her.

I’m not going down without a fight. As a matter of fact, I’m not going down at all. As glorious as these days may be for my all-star roommate, Laney is my end game.

I may not know much about play strategy, but I’ve been the good guy my whole life. I’ve been listening and I know exactly what women want. Framed in a picture standing next to me, Troy may seem like Mr. Perfect, but he’s underestimating the guy on the right.

Spoiler alert: In this story, the underdog is going to win.

What I think about it...

The Characters

I love them all, from Theo down to her sisters, they’re all lovable. Theo is so sweet and likable as well as Laney. Theo’s roommates – Troy and Lance – are equally hot and mysterious though they don’t have much exposure here because they have their own books. Theo’s sisters are hilarious and I can totally relate with that because me and my sisters are bullying our younger brothers the same way. I can’t say much about the other background characters but I like them all. There’s really no unlovable character here except for Nora.

The Story

This is what a slow-burn novel should be like. And I love this; New Adult Romance is my new favorite genre. It’s not cringey like Young Adult Romances. It was so funny and cute and lovely. I was giggly all the time. It’s crazy how a book make you feel this elated. Their breakup was so, obviously, heartbreaking. It was so sad that I feel like I’m a part of their relationship lol. Also gah, that Epilogue, now, that’s how you end a book right.

What I liked less...

I love this book but what I kinda don't like is Theo being so pessismist. It was like he was just waiting for Laney to mess up so he can prove himself right. I don't like that he's judgemental about Troy - although he really is a fckboy - but you know, give him the benefit of the doubt, Theo.

My Verdict

Guys, do yourself a favor and read this. Kate Stewart is definitely in the list of my favorite authors now. I absolutely love this book and this author.

P.S. It has playlist on Spotify

MY RATING
★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment