Tuesday, January 7, 2020

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1) // BOOK REVIEW

Life ain’t fair.
It ain’t.
Not never.
"It’s pointless and stupid and there’s only suffering and pain and people who want to hurt you. You can’t love nothing or no one cuz it’ll all be taken away or ruined and you’ll be left alone and constantly having to fight, constantly having to run just to stay alive.
There’s nothing good in this life. Not nothing good nowhere.
What’s the effing point?"
Book: The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking #1)
Author: Patrick Ness
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopia
Synopsis: Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

What I think about it...

I wish I can say that I enjoyed it cos, come on, Patrick Ness. But I didn’t and I hate it that I felt this way cos I love this author.

What went wrong…

I think I'm too dumb for this. There are parts that I tried so hard to understand and parts that I just skipped. I find it very uncomfortable to read because I thought that it's so messed up. Imagine every one hearing what you're thinking, right? How can Patrick Ness execute this kind of story, I thought. But he did it anyways. But I would say that I can find so much connection in this book with what's happening today in this society. Informayshun (information). Lots of it.

Also there are characters I effing loved and effing hated. Loved Manchee and Ben and Cillian and Todd. Viola, I kinda don't care about her. I effing hate Aaron so very much like he’s that 0.01% germ that can’t be killed with even the strongest cleaning and disinfecting products and it's irritating.

My Verdict

I kinda don't like it. But I effing love Patrick Ness so I will effing finish this series.

MY RATING
★★☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment