Monday, September 2, 2019

We Set the Dark of Fire (WSTDOF #1) by Tehlor Kay Mejia // BOOK REVIEW

"In a battle between two men trying to control her, she'd chosen herself."
NO SPOILER REVIEW!!!

Book: We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire #1)
Author: Tehlor Kay Mejia
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Dystopian, LGBT
Synopsis: At the Medio School for Girls, distinguished young women are trained for one of two roles in their polarized society. Depending on her specialization, a graduate will one day run a husband’s household or raise his children, but both are promised a life of comfort and luxury, far from the frequent political uprisings of the lower class. Daniela Vargas is the school’s top student, but her bright future depends upon no one discovering her darkest secret—that her pedigree is a lie. Her parents sacrificed everything to obtain forged identification papers so Dani could rise above her station. Now that her marriage to an important politico’s son is fast approaching, she must keep the truth hidden or be sent back to the fringes of society, where famine and poverty rule supreme.

On her graduation night, Dani seems to be in the clear, despite the surprises that unfold. But nothing prepares her for all the difficult choices she must make, especially when she is asked to spy for a resistance group desperately fighting to bring equality to Medio. Will Dani cling to the privilege her parents fought to win for her, or to give up everything she’s strived for in pursuit of a free Medio—and a chance at a forbidden love?

What I liked...

First of all, what a cover. I’m just a simple girl that whenever I see a good cover, I click Want To Read and read the synopsis. Well, the story and the whole concept are solid and unique. The setup is vibrant and vivid. I immediately fell in love with the main character, Dani. She’s so strong, committed to her role as a Primera, smart and is fiercely loyal to her family.

Also, the ending is so heartbreaking I was not expecting to like it so much.

What didn’t work for me...

It has an LGBT romance. Again, I’m not against LGBT community but I was not prepared for this. This isn’t my cup of tea. I thought there is something going on between Dani and Sota. I thought they are the ‘forbidden love’ that was hinted at the synopsis. Nice twist though, I didn’t see it coming. I admit I was not a fan but its hella surprising. Nice touch. 

Then there’s Sota’s character. I’m not sure if he’s a major character but I know he’s an important one but I felt like he’s just a background character. I wanted him to be more – to be more than just a vengeful rebel. I thought there’s more to him than that. His story is so sad and tragic but it felt lacking. He’s kind of just there, like he was made only to blackmail the Primera. I feel the same towards Carmen’s character, her story fell short and there’s not much explanation of her change of heart. I hope it revolves around Carmen on book 2 cos though book 1 is a third person POV, it only narrates Dani's. Also midway through the book I lost focus I don’t know why it didn’t hit home.

My Verdict

Still a good read, nonetheless. I may still read the book 2 (We Unleash the Merciless Storm) because I wanted to know what happened to the characters and I’m curious how the story will progress. All hail dystopian lovers!

MY RATING:
★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment