Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The Night Olivia Fell by Christina McDonald // BOOK REVIEW

“But there are no redos in life. You can’t go back and make things better. All you can do is live with it and move forward.”
NO SPOILER REVIEW!!!

Book: The Night Olivia Fell
Author: Christina McDonald
Genre: Fiction, Mystery, Suspense, Thriller
Synopsis: A search for the truth. A lifetime of lies.

In the small hours of the morning, Abi Knight is startled awake by the phone call no mother ever wants to get: her teenage daughter Olivia has fallen off a bridge. Not only is Olivia brain dead, she’s pregnant and must remain on life support to keep her baby alive. And then Abi sees the angry bruises circling Olivia’s wrists.

When the police unexpectedly rule Olivia’s fall an accident, Abi decides to find out what really happened that night. Heartbroken and grieving, she unravels the threads of her daughter’s life. Was Olivia’s fall an accident? Or something far more sinister?

What I felt about it…

This is definitely a tear-jerker. We all know what the ending will be for Olivia just by reading the synopsis or just by looking at the title but still, five sentences before the book ends I was still hoping she’ll wake up… that there will be some kind of a miracle. And when it ended, I was sad – so, so sad – that it left a hole in my heart.

I felt it again – being incomplete when a book has ended. I felt like I lost a very close friend in Olivia’s character. Reading Olivia’s point of view excites me and it made me get closer to her. I so love girls with a strong personality though I can’t say that I agree with most of her decisions, especially the one that led her down there, overall I like her character.

I also like her Mom, Abi, although most of the times she’s so irritating (always cutting people off). I can somewhat relate to her because I’m some kind of an introvert. But what I don’t understand about her is she’s always pushing people away even the people who’s her only family. Also what got Abi to my nerves is when she started barging into other people’s home accusing them of murder. I pity her being left alone, that’s why I wanted Olivia to wake up, so Olivia would know how much her Mom loves her.

I always love a whodunit story. Even if I was just a few pages from the beginning, I kept guessing who the killer is. I kept talking to myself and creating plots in my head that I think will possibly happen. But in the end I was wrong, so maybe I was like Abi, accusing people of murder (lol!).

This book alternates between Olivia’s (past) and Abi’s (present) point of view. And I like books with alternate POVs. What I also love about this book is the show of a parent’s love to their child. It goes to show that parents will go the distance just to give their child what they think is best for them and in Olivia’s case, Abi wants to give her justice.

My Verdict

I posted the cover of this book in my Facebook story and a few friends asked me for a copy, now having said that, I will definitely recommend this, it’s a beautiful, heart-warming, tear-jerking read!

MY RATING
★★★★★ 

No comments:

Post a Comment