Sunday, September 1, 2019

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare // BOOK REVIEW

"It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it."
Book: Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Paranormal
Synopsis: In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...

What I liked about it...

Cassandra Clare wrote it very well. Though there are some holes in the story, I thought it was okay. I didn’t expect the twist and turns and how it ended. I was so intrigued by the Epilogue, but not intrigued enough to pick up the second book.

What I liked less about it...

Tessa, I don’t like Tessa. I don’t think she ever felt grateful towards Will when he saved her from the Dark Sisters. She was never grateful to Brother Enoch when he healed her (she actually wanted him out the room). And with Charlotte, she never once said she was thankful to them when they let her stay at the Institute. She was, actually kind of bitchy. She was kidnapped, yes, and she was, maybe, confused because she suddenly has this super powers but that doesn’t give her an excuse to assume everyone who wanna help her will hurt her. I was totally irritated with her when she said this to Charlotte during one of the scenes when they’re trying to help and revive Nate, Tessa’s brother.
Tessa looked at Brother Enoch. He had opened the pouch at his waits and was setting objects down on the bedside table, slowly and methodically. Glass vials of powder and liquid, bunches of dried plants, sticks of some black substance like soft coal. “If anything happens to Nate,” Tessa said, “I shall never forgive you. Never.”
And...
“We trust you, Tessa. You need to trust us, too.” – Charlotte
“No,” Tessa said. “No, I don’t.”
She was totally, totally out of her way in here. And I thought it’s the end of the series for me. She’s so closed-minded and judgemental and such a push-over. I was kinda expecting a lot more from this because the hyped and reviews of this book is staggeringly high.

My Verdict

I think one of the things I’m stressed about when reading a fantasy series is that it has a lot of vocabulary and characters that I have to keep up with. I can’t come up with a definite conclusion about this book. As I’ve said, this is the end of the series for me. I have no interest in picking up book 2 and 3, but maybe someday, when I got over my irritation over Tessa Gray, I might continue reading the series again.

MY RATING:
★☆☆☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment