Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #3, The Grisha Trilogy #3) // BOOK REVIEW



Book: Ruin and Rising (Shadow and Bone Trilogy #3, The Grisha Trilogy #3)

Author: Leigh Bardugo

Genre: Fiction, Young Adult

Synopsis: The capital has fallen.

The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne.

Now the nation's fate rests with a broken Sun Summoner, a disgraced tracker, and the shattered remnants of a once-great magical army.

Deep in an ancient network of tunnels and caverns, a weakened Alina must submit to the dubious protection of the Apparat and the zealots who worship her as a Saint. Yet her plans lie elsewhere, with the hunt for the elusive firebird and the hope that an outlaw prince still survives.

Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as she begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction—and claiming it could cost Alina the very future she’s fighting for.

What I thought about it…

 

By book 2, I started to care less about the story, everything and everyone. I don’t understand what’s happening anymore and who the new characters are. Their adventure to find the firebird is tiring and the, again, cat-and-mouse-hide-and-seek-stuff with the Darkling is all so exhausting. The characters are not themselves: Alina was totally different but then I don’t think I know her at all because I don’t have a clue what she was like before she became Sankta Alina. Mal was okay, boring as usual. Zoya’s attitude changed (which is not so her) and Genya somewhat became less of a person (not her appearance but her character’s (under)development). Nikolai’s cool attitude I missed and I don’t remember who and where in the story did Harshaw, Ruby and one other guy popped out.

 

What went wrong…

 

The first book was a good adventure and it’s so fun for me. But then second book was a filler and this third one I just don’t feel anything at all. Like I only pushed myself to finish it so I can get to the Six of Crows Duology and it’s frustrating to continue reading something that annoys you. This was way harder to read than Patrick Ness’ Chaos Walking Series.

 

My Verdict

 

Finally made it. Finally I can start reading Six of Crows Duology (which is now a trilogy) and though this last book brought me in a 3-month reading slump I still rated it 3 stars.

 

MY RATING

★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment