Sunday, October 4, 2020

Lord of the Flies by William Golding // BOOK REVIEW


Book: Lord of the Flies
Author: William Golding
Genre: Classic, Fiction, Young Adult, Adventure
Synopsis: At the dawn of the next world war, a plane crashes on an uncharted island, stranding a group of schoolboys. At first, with no adult supervision, their freedom is something to celebrate; this far from civilization the boys can do anything they want. Anything. They attempt to forge their own society, failing, however, in the face of terror, sin and evil. And as order collapses, as strange howls echo in the night, as terror begins its reign, the hope of adventure seems as far from reality as the hope of being rescued. Labeled a parable, an allegory, a myth, a morality tale, a parody, a political treatise, even a vision of the apocalypse, Lord of the Flies is perhaps our most memorable novel about “the end of innocence, the darkness of man’s heart.”

What I thought about it...

I was in a reading slump for months and when I noticed that this is the next book on my To be Read list, I was ecstatic because it's short and is in the Adventure genre. But boy I was wrong. It was difficult to read. When I look at a page I was horrified how long the paragraphs are and how many words there are. I'm in a reading slump, I can't read... so words and long paragraphs annoy me.

The Characters / Story

I hated Ralph to the core, he was mean. I don't like that he called Piggy, piggy. I, at least, want to know what Piggy's real name is. He didn't even redeem himself up until the end. The only characters I like in this story is Piggy and Simon. At first I was kinda liking Roger but then... shh. This story was hard to read and hard to imagine. These are kids and I can't look at it the other way especially when I've read so much about what the story meant. I didn't see the adventure. I want more in the ending. I want justice. Justice.

What went wrong...

There are so many symbolisms in this story that I don't get it. I've read a review where they said that you have to have a child's mind to understand it but the amount of symbolism in this story is so many that I felt like I'm an idiot. I also think that those symbolisms are the reason why so many loved this book. I'm sorry, I just didn't get it and I hate the feeling of not being able to feel or understand when I hated a book others loved.

My Verdict

I might re-read it. I can't blame the book because I read it in the midst of my reading slump. I was forcing my self to read and I guess whatever it is that I read, I will feel horrible about it even when it has a good story.


MY RATING

★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment